Re: How to optimize insert statements ?

From: "Christian Leclerc" <cleclerc(at)ilog(dot)fr>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to optimize insert statements ?
Date: 2007-07-25 10:48:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your reply and advise. I understand in your email that the
use of a sequence object will increase the performance of my trigger.
Therefore I'm going to replace that in my code immediately. Anyway, my
problem is not exactly the performances; it's more the insertion time
growing. Indeed I don't understand why the insertion time grows
"exponentially" with my single transaction. If I split my objects
insertion into several transactions (instead of one), the problem seems
to disappear. Would you see any reasons linked to the Postgres
transactions explaining this insertion time growing ?

Regards,
Christian