Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Michael Stone <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Date: 2007-04-27 16:12:21
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-performance
On Apr 27, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 09:27:49AM -0400, Carlos Moreno wrote:
>> Notice that the second part of my suggestion covers this --- have
>> additional
>> switches to initdb so that the user can tell it about estimates on
>> how the DB
>> will be used:  estimated size of the DB, estimated percentage of
>> activity that
>> will involve writing, estimated percentage of activity that will
>> be transactions,
>> percentage that will use indexes, percentage of queries that will
>> be complex,
>> etc. etc.
>
> If the person knows all that, why wouldn't they know to just change
> the config parameters?

Because knowing your expected workload is a lot easier for many
people than knowing what every GUC does.

Personally, I think it would be a tremendous start if we just
provided a few sample configs like MySQL does. Or if someone wanted
to get fancy they could stick a web page somewhere that would produce
a postgresql.conf based simply on how much available RAM you had,
since that's one of the biggest performance-hampering issues we run
into (ie: shared_buffers left at the default of 32MB).