Re: SQL stored function inserting and returning data in a row.

From: "Daniel Caune" <daniel(dot)caune(at)ubisoft(dot)com>
To: "Gerardo Herzig" <gherzig(at)fmed(dot)uba(dot)ar>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL stored function inserting and returning data in a row.
Date: 2008-01-11 13:55:02
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

> What about
> $$
> INSERT INTO .... ;
> select currval('seq_matchmaking_session_id');
> $$ language sql;
>
> ?

Indeed... :-( For some reason, I thought that it was not possible to
have to SQL statement in an SQL stored function.

By the way, is there any performance difference between pure SQL and
PL/pgSQL stored functions? If I remember correctly there was such a
distinction between pure SQL statement and PL/PLSQL stored procedures
(Oracle), in the sense that PL/PLSQL stored procedures are executed
within the PL/PLSQL engine which sends pure SQL statements to the SQL
engine for execution. There is a little overhead between PL/PLSQL and
SQL engines.

Regards,

--
Daniel