Re: [SQL] PostgreSQL server terminated by signal 11

From: "Daniel Caune" <daniel(dot)caune(at)ubisoft(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] PostgreSQL server terminated by signal 11
Date: 2006-07-27 23:00:27
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-sql

Quite a long time I didn't use gdb! :-)  Anyway I proceed as described hereafter; correct me if I was wrong.

> ps -eaf | grep postgres

postgres  2792  2789  0 21:50 pts/2    00:00:00 su postgres
postgres  2793  2792  0 21:50 pts/2    00:00:00 bash
postgres  2902     1  7 22:17 ?        00:01:10 postgres: dbo agora [local] idle
postgres  2952     1  2 22:32 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/postgresql/8.1/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/postgresql/8.1/main -c unix_socket_directory=/var/run/postgresql -c config_file=/etc/postgresql/8.1/main/postgresql.conf -c hba_file=/etc/postgresql/8.1/main/pg_hba.conf -c ident_file=/etc/postgresql/8.1/main/pg_ident.conf
postgres  2954  2952  0 22:32 ?        00:00:00 postgres: writer process
postgres  2955  2952  0 22:32 ?        00:00:00 postgres: stats buffer process
postgres  2956  2955  0 22:32 ?        00:00:00 postgres: stats collector process

I connected to the postgres server using psql and I retrieved the backend pid by executing the statement "SELECT pg_backend_pid();"

I started gdb under the UNIX account postgres and I attached the backend process providing the pid returned by the statement.

I run the command responsible for creating the index and I entered "continue" in gdb for executing the command.  After a while, the server crashes:

  0x08079e2a in slot_attisnull ()
  (gdb)
  Continuing.

  Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
  The program no longer exists.

I can't do "bt" since the program no longer exists.  How can I provide more information, stack trace, and so on?

--
Daniel

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Jeff FrostDate: 2006-07-27 23:13:50