Re: PostgreSQL server terminated by signal 11

From: "Daniel Caune" <daniel(dot)caune(at)ubisoft(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL server terminated by signal 11
Date: 2006-07-27 21:12:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

The postgres server version is 8.1.4.

Yes, if leave the WHERE clause a simple index, I don't encounter any problem:

CREATE INDEX IDX_GSLOG_EVENTTIME
ON GSLOG_EVENT (EVENT_DATE_CREATED);

Anyway, I'm not sure, Tom, that is only related to the WHERE clause as crash occur with composite index too, such as:

CREATE INDEX IDX_GSLOG_EVENT_PLAYER_EVENT
ON GSLOG_EVENT (PLAYER_USERNAME, EVENT_NAME);

The crash may happen a while after sending the command. For example, supposing I reboot the Linux machine and I immediately run the command (i.e. most of memory is unused), it takes more than five minutes before crash occurs. At such time the memory usage is the following (top every second):

Mem: 2075860k total, 1787600k used, 288260k free, 6300k buffers
Swap: 369452k total, 0k used, 369452k free, 1748032k cached

When reconnecting to the new postgres respawn, it takes approximately the same time for having it crashing, whatever the number of times I proceed like this.

I did some other tests trying to detect any common denominator that may make the postgres server crashing. Here some results are:

select max(length(game_client_version))
from gslog_event;
=> [CRASH]

select max(length(game_client_version))
from gslog_event
where game_client_version is not null;
=> [OK, max = 28]

select count(*)
from gslog_event
where length(game_client_version) >= 0;
=> [OK, count = 4463726]

select count(*)
from gslog_event
where upper(game_client_version) = 'FARCRYPC1.33';
=> [OK, count = 576318]

select count(*)
from gslog_event
where lower(player_username) = 'lythanhphu';
=> [CRASH]

I was thinking about nullable value, but finally, you know what? I have strictly no idea! :-)

I'll look at the archive for running postgres with gdb and provide more accurate information.

Thanks,

--
Daniel