Index row maximum size and crash

From: "Daniel Caune" <daniel(dot)caune(at)ubisoft(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Index row maximum size and crash
Date: 2006-07-27 19:30:19
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

I try to create an index on character varying(64) column but PostgreSQL
complains that the index row size reaches the maximum limit:

  CREATE INDEX IDX_GSLOG_EVENT_ARCHIVE_GAME_CLIENT_VERSION
    ON GSLOG_EVENT_ARCHIVE(GAME_CLIENT_VERSION);
  ERROR:  index row requires 198468548 bytes, maximum size is 8191

I was curious to know the maximum length I have for this column:

  select max(game_client_version) from gslog_event_archive;
          before or while processing the request.

The server crashes again! Sniff! :-(  Seems that the database is
corrupted somewhere, no?

--
Daniel CAUNE
Ubisoft Online Technology

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Jeff FrostDate: 2006-07-27 19:35:32