Re: Power cut and performance problem

From: "Daniel Caune" <daniel(dot)caune(at)ubisoft(dot)com>
To: "Jeff Frost" <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Power cut and performance problem
Date: 2006-03-21 14:18:36
Lists: pgsql-sql
> BTW, I didn't complete my first thought above, which was to ask when
you
> last
> vacuumed the DB, but then I saw that you were running autovac, so that
> wasn't
> likely the problem.
>
> BTW, if the problem is actually a raid array that is rebuilding, it
should
> be
> (hopefullY) fixed by tomorrow morning.

An administrator is checking the raid status this morning.  Anyway, I
did some tests and it seems that some results are weird.

For example, the execution of the following query is fast as it used to
be (gslog_event_id is the primary key on gslog_event):

  select max(gslog_event_id) from gslog_event;  (=> Time: 0.773 ms)

while the following query is really slow (several minutes):

  select min(gslog_event_id) from gslog_event; (index on the primary key
is taken)

I'm not a hardware expert at all, but I supposed that the whole
performance would be degraded when a problem occurs with RAID disks.  Am
I wrong?  Could it be something else?  Are there some tools that check
the state of a PostgreSQL database?

--
Daniel

pgsql-sql by date

Next:From: Achilleus MantziosDate: 2006-03-21 14:23:18