Re: Hey! RSVP for Monday?

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hey! RSVP for Monday?
Date: 2004-11-12 20:26:21
Lists: sfpug
> We really DO need to know how many people to expect for Monday.   How
> about a
> quick e-mail?

:)  I'll be there and arriving via bart.  What time is the bus/van/car
leaving from bart?

In case anyone's wondering what memcache can do for a site, I just
finished adding memcache to a particularly hot spot on the site that
was killing PostgreSQL.  The page in question was doing a SELECT
COUNT(*) + SELECT * (I didn't write it, I wouldn't have used SELECT *)
which was resulting in about 320K of data per page view being sent
across the wire Pg to the webserver.  Yesterday, the load reached 75-80
as queries piled up.  Here's a graph of the load from a day ago and the
load from today.