Re: JDBC gripe list

From: "Donald Fraser" <postgres(at)kiwi-fraser(dot)net>
To: "[JDBC]" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC gripe list
Date: 2011-03-30 10:06:33
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:22 AM
Subject: Re: [JDBC] JDBC gripe list

> "Donald Fraser" wrote:
>
>> I already have a lot of experience with a modified PosgreSQL 7.4
>> driver and notification threads. Our company has been using it
>> since 2005.
>
> Are you talking about modifying the driver to generate and deliver
> events when there is a notification (as in PostgreSQL LISTEN/NOTIFY)
> on a connection? If so, that's an interesting feature and it would
> be interesting to see a patch.

Yes. I will work on producing a patch for review.

> It's not what we've been discussing on this thread, though,
> regarding Timer and threads. We're talking about implementing this:
>
> http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/sql/Statement.html#setQueryTimeout%28int%29
>
> Have you implemented something for that? I don't think your
> concerns about timer events bunching up really applies a whole lot
> to this -- these would be one-shot timers; we're not talking about
> using an interval.

Agreed, one-shot timers would not be a problem.

Apologies, some how (probably the time of night I was reading the thread)
and all the different subjects within this topic, I miss-read the thread
with regards to Timer.
We have implemented timeouts, however it was done outside the driver and
heavily intergrated with other code and uses 1.5's concurrent thread API.

Regards
Donald