RE: [INTERFACES] ecpg and getting just assigned serial number

From: "Ansley, Michael" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "'Andreas Theofilu'" <theofilu(at)eunet(dot)at>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] ecpg and getting just assigned serial number
Date: 1999-09-13 12:56:40
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-sql

It's would be pretty difficult to return the unique key, because that is
defined by the user, and what if I had a table into which were placed values
from two separate sequences (not great design, but possible), or a compound
unique key, or multiple unique keys? The things that's necessary here is
for the sqlca struct to contain the oid of the newly inserted row after the
insertion. Of course, then there is a problem if more than one row is
inserted. What does Informix do then?

But why can't you just write a database function that performs the insert,
and returns the value, and then call the function using embedded sql. The
function can be written in plsql, and accept as parameters all the values
that need to go into the new record. This is far better db design.

The basic function looks like this (pseudocode):

BEGIN
get next sequence value into i;
insert new record using parameters and i;
if insert fails then
return (0);
else
return (i);
END

This has the added benefit of being able to add further business rules into
the function, which better encapsulates your process. Of course, this is
design dependent, but it's a method I've used quite successfully in the past
(although, admittedly, not in PG ;-)

MikeA