Re: Cluster / Tablespace ?

From: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cluster / Tablespace ?
Date: 2009-02-10 13:36:22
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Feb 10, 2009, at 7:56 AM, Nico Callewaert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe my question is too simple...
> Anyway, I'm coming from a Firebird background where we just talk
> about a database file.  I read that PostgreSQL is working with a
> database cluster.  I don't know exactly the meaning of that and I
> didn't find a well explaining answer on the internet.

Postgres uses this to distinguish between the postgres database engine
or software and the databases that are created and maintained there.
When we talk about the postgres database we generally mean the engine
or software, unless we say something like "I have a database
that ..."  In the latter case, we're probably talking about a database
in the cluster.  I cluster can be a single database.