RE: Win ODBC drivers for Postgres

From: Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
To: "'Byron Nikolaidis'" <byron(dot)nikolaidis(at)home(dot)com>, Mihai Gheorghiu <tanhq(at)bigplanet(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: Win ODBC drivers for Postgres
Date: 2000-06-08 06:45:51
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

See below...

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support
Maidstone Borough Council
Any views stated are my own, and not those of Maidstone Borough Council

[Peter Mount] I can think of a few non-public domain items that are
even worse...

> Also, many of the compromises of the ODBC driver are based on shortcomings
> of the backend. Jeez, we still "simulate" a Prepared Statement because
> there isn't one in the backend. Is the backend ever gonna have
> this?AFAIK,
> the JDBC driver simulates the prepared statement also.

[Peter Mount] Yes, JDBC does simulate prepared statements, but as
soon as the backend supports it (which, some one correct me, may be possible
after a parser rewrite?) it will be changed over. This is one of the big
performance hits in JDBC at the moment.

> Some may remember the "declare/fetch" feature of the ODBC driver, that
> makes
> use of postgres cursors. This feature was added to help with the network
> bandwidth problem -- instead of getting the entire query result, it
> fetched
> it in chunks when required.

[Peter Mount] I want to add this capability to JDBC, especially the
JDBC2 driver, as it's ResultSet can implicitly handle cursors. I was
originally going to do it for 7.0.

> Yeah, so maybe connection pooling would be nice, but most things use one
> or
> two connections don't they? Do most processes keep asking odbc for a new
> connection?
[Peter Mount] I'm not sure about ODBC, but in JDBC a lot of people
use connection pools, especially with Servlets or CORBA applications.