RE: psql & java

From: Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
To: "'Guillaume Rousse'" <Guillaume(dot)Rousse(at)univ-reunion(dot)fr>, "Peter Mount (Home)" <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>, Frank Bax <fbax(at)execulink(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: psql & java
Date: 2000-04-19 06:45:15
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thanks for the corrections ;-)

Peter

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support
Maidstone Borough Council

-----Original Message-----
From: Guillaume Rousse [mailto:Guillaume(dot)Rousse(at)univ-reunion(dot)fr]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 6:47 PM
To: Peter Mount; Frank Bax
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] psql & java

Le mar, 18 avr 2000, Peter Mount a écrit :
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Frank Bax wrote:
>
> > I want to write a Java applet that retrieves/updates data in a psql
> > database. I am running Apache and psql on a single OpenBSD server.
> > currently use PHP for dynamic pages; which has been fine up to now
for
> > presenting data, but I can see the day coming where some processing
at the
> > client side would be useful; so I want to take a closer look at
java. I
> > have been told by someone who knows little more than I do, that I
need
> > servlets to get at my data with java applets. When I go to the
apache
> > site, I see references to Jakarta, Tomcat, Java-Apache, JSERV and
JSSI.

> Ok, I've not played with servlets (had no need) but here goes (and
> someone correct me if I'm wrong):
>
> Java-Apache is the name of the project to integrate Java with Apache.
>
> JSERV is a web server that embeds java into web pages which is
processed
> on the server. This is not JavaScript, but similar to PHP or ASP.
No. JServ is a servlet engine for Apache. It doesn't support JSP alone,
and
it's not compliant with last version of servlet API. Tomcat, a part of
Jakarta
project, is its successor : it's both a servlet (2.2 compliant) engine
and a
JSP (1.1) engine.

> Not sure what JSSI is. I have heared of Jakarta & Tomcat, but thats
all.
It's Java Server-Side Include, the java equivalent of traditionnal SSI.

> > But I couldn't find summaries that tell what these things are. Can
someone
> > tell me exactly which of the above components (and more?) I need to
install
> > to make this work? How do they fit together?
You'll need PostgreSQL for storing the data, JDBC driver to access them,
Tomcat
to process your servlets and JSP pages, Apache eventually if you also
have
plain HTML, as Tomcat is stand-alone capable. I don't know for JSSI, but
for
accessing data, this already largely enough.

--
Guillaume Rousse
Iremia - Université de la Réunion

Sleep doesn't exists. Just lack of cafeine.