RE: psql & java

From: Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
To: "'Guillaume Rousse'" <Guillaume(dot)Rousse(at)univ-reunion(dot)fr>, "Peter Mount (Home)" <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>, Frank Bax <fbax(at)execulink(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: psql & java
Date: 2000-04-19 06:45:15
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Thanks for the corrections ;-)

Peter Mount
Enterprise Support
Maidstone Borough Council

-----Original Message-----
From: Guillaume Rousse [mailto:Guillaume(dot)Rousse(at)univ-reunion(dot)fr]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 6:47 PM
To: Peter Mount; Frank Bax
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] psql & java

Le mar, 18 avr 2000, Peter Mount a écrit :
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Frank Bax wrote:
> > I want to write a Java applet that retrieves/updates data in a psql
> > database.  I am running Apache and psql on a single OpenBSD server.
> > currently use PHP for dynamic pages; which has been fine up to now
> > presenting data, but I can see the day coming where some processing
at the
> > client side would be useful; so I want to take a closer look at
java.  I
> > have been told by someone who knows little more than I do, that I
> > servlets to get at my data with java applets.  When I go to the
> > site, I see references to Jakarta, Tomcat, Java-Apache, JSERV and
> Ok, I've not played with servlets (had no need) but here goes (and
> someone correct me if I'm wrong):
> Java-Apache is the name of the project to integrate Java with Apache.
> JSERV is a web server that embeds java into web pages which is
> on the server. This is not JavaScript, but similar to PHP or ASP.
No. JServ is a servlet engine for Apache. It doesn't support JSP alone,
it's not compliant with last version of servlet API. Tomcat, a part of
project, is its successor : it's both a servlet (2.2 compliant) engine
and a
JSP (1.1)  engine.

> Not sure what JSSI is. I have heared of Jakarta & Tomcat, but thats
It's Java Server-Side Include, the java equivalent of traditionnal SSI.

> > But I couldn't find summaries that tell what these things are.  Can
> > tell me exactly which of the above components (and more?) I need to
> > to make this work?  How do they fit together?
You'll need PostgreSQL for storing the data, JDBC driver to access them,
to process your servlets and JSP pages, Apache eventually if you also
plain HTML, as Tomcat is stand-alone capable. I don't know for JSSI, but
accessing data, this already largely enough.

Guillaume Rousse
Iremia - Université de la Réunion

Sleep doesn't exists. Just lack of cafeine.

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Peter MountDate: 2000-04-19 06:47:47
Subject: RE: where to close statement ?
Previous:From: Matthew DennyDate: 2000-04-19 05:51:25
Subject: getting OID of INSERTed record in ECPG