RE: [INTERFACES] Transaction support in 6.5.3/JDBC

From: Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
To: "'Assaf Arkin'" <arkin(at)exoffice(dot)com>, Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org, "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] Transaction support in 6.5.3/JDBC
Date: 1999-12-10 07:27:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

-----Original Message-----
From: Assaf Arkin [mailto:arkin(at)exoffice(dot)com]
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 1999 6:43 PM
To: Peter Mount
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org; 'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'

[snip]

> 3. isCriticalError -- should tell me if a critical error occured in
the
> connection and the connection is no longer useable
>
> How do I detect no. 3? Is there are certain range of error codes,
should
> I just look at certain PSQLExceptions as being critial (e.g. all I/O
> related errors)?
>
> PM: Don't rely on the text returned from PSQLException to be in
English.
> We are pretty unique in that the driver will return an error message
in
> the language defined by the locale of the client (also depends on if
we
> have translated the errors into that language). What I could to is add
> method to PSQLException that returns the original id of the Exception,
> and another to return the arguments supplied. That may make your code
> more portable.

I'm not looking into the messages, I know their language dependent. I
even added two or three new error messages, but only in English.

I'm looking for either specific error codes, range of error codes, or
some class extending PSQLException that will just indicate that this
connection is no longer useful. For example, if an I/O error occurs,
there's no ReadyForQuery reply, there's garbled response, etc.

arkin

PM: There are not error codes available. Also, there's nothing extending
PSQLException (yet), but there's no reason not to extend it.

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support