Re: viewing source code

From: "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>
To: "'Joshua D(dot) Drake'" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: 'Trevor Talbot' <quension(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: viewing source code
Date: 2007-12-20 19:45:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

I am obviously hitting on the nerve of the open source community because it
contradicts the notion that all source code should be open. However, data
needs to be protected. I don't want to share with the world my social
security number. I also don't want to share with the world my code I use to
manipulate data. My code is an extension of the data and is useless without
data.

Businesses use databases like crazy. Non-technical people write their own
code to analyze data. The stuff they write many times is as valuable as the
data itself and should be protected like the data. They don't need or want
many times to go through a middle tier to analyze data or through the hassle
to obfuscate the code.

I think it is foolish to not make PostgreSQL as feature rich when it comes
to security as the competition because you are idealistic when it comes to
the concept of source code. PostgreSQL is better in many ways to MS SQL
Server and equal to many features of Oracle but when it comes to security,
it is closer to MS Access.

Jon