Number of connections

From: "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Number of connections
Date: 2007-12-10 15:07:25
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
I've noticed that when using pgAdmin, each user will have multiple
connections to the database.  We actually observe three connections for each
user which seem to be:
1.  pgAdmin UI
2.  Maintenance database
3.  Query Window

Then for each Query Window, there is another connection created.  So if a
user wants to execute two concurrent queries, they actually have four
database connections open.

Wouldn't it be better to create a connection pool and only increment beyond
one connection to the database when there are true concurrent requests?  I
believe this is how M$ SQL Server handles this.

Alternatively, limiting the client to only one connection would be OK too
and be less work than implementing a connection pool.  Maybe this could be a
configuration setting. (Multi-thread yes/no).

Jon

pgadmin-hackers by date