query using cpu nearly 100%, why?

From: LIANHE SHAO <lshao2(at)jhmi(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: query using cpu nearly 100%, why?
Date: 2003-12-05 21:03:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello,
I use php as front-end to query our database. When I use System Monitor to check the usage of cpu and memory, I noticed that the cpu very easily gets up to 100%. Is that normal? if not, could someone points out possible reason?

I am using linux7.3, pgsql 7.3.4, 1G Memory and 2GHz CPU.

Regards,
William