Re: [GENERAL] Index pg_proc_prosrc_index: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (1071)ISNOT THE SAME AS HEAP' (1070)

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: Ed Loehr <ELOEHR(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>, pg-gen <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Index pg_proc_prosrc_index: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (1071)ISNOT THE SAME AS HEAP' (1070)
Date: 1999-12-22 17:39:34
Lists: pgsql-general

> > > I have no idea *which* index to drop/recreate, and I have hundreds of them.
> > > Ouch.
> >
> > That will also be fixed.
>
> I thought that the index in question was, in fact,
> pg_proc_prosrc_index in the above example. If that's the
> case, then is it possible for Ed to rebuild a system index?
> The only absolutely surefire way is to dump/reload, isn't
> it? Maybe somewhere someone is doing a heap_insert(),
> heap_replace(), et al, and an event is happening which is
> causing the code to not get to the
> CatalogOpenIndices()/CatalogIndexInsert()/CatalogCloseIndices()...

Signe me up as a dope. Yes, it is clearly that index. I was thinking
of another place that has this problem, the famous "My bits moved off
the end of the world" error message. This one is clearly the
pg_proc_prosrc_index index.

The only way to fix that is to initdb, I think. I would recommend
pg_upgrade, after removing the disable from the pg_upgrade script that
was added in 6.5. That will fix it. Not sure how it got that way,
though.