pgaccess on win95 connection

From: bbarnes(at)operamail(dot)com (Bill Barnes)
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgaccess on win95 connection
Date: 1999-11-29 10:59:48
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Installed the rpm of 6.5.3 seemingly with success. Can access template1 with pgsql and pgaccess on a Mandrake 6.1
machine.
"ps ax | grep postmaster" reports the following:
551 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql
1932 pts/1 S 0:00 grep postmaster

'1932' increments by 2 on each iteration of the ps command. Don't know enough about what I am doing to interpret
this, but in executing pgaccess on the windows machine I get the following:

the connection window displays localhost
5432
I entered template1
postgres
<password>
The connect error message is
Error trying to connect database "template1" on host localhost

PostgreSQL error message: Connection to database failed
connectDB() failed: Is the postmaster running and accepting TCP/IP(with -i) connections
at 'localhost' on port '5432'?

Tried changing the port number. It looks at least like we are getting to the database. How do I ping the server?