pgaccess on win95 connection

From: bbarnes(at)operamail(dot)com (Bill Barnes)
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgaccess on win95 connection
Date: 1999-11-29 10:59:48
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Installed the rpm of 6.5.3 seemingly with success.  Can access template1 with pgsql and pgaccess on a Mandrake 6.1
machine.
"ps ax | grep postmaster" reports the following:
   551  ?                S            0:00  /usr/bin/postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql
  1932 pts/1          S            0:00  grep postmaster

'1932'  increments by 2 on each iteration of the ps command.   Don't know enough about what I am doing to interpret
this, but in executing pgaccess on the windows machine I get the following:

   the connection window displays      localhost
                                                           5432
   I entered                                          template1
                                                           postgres
                                                           <password>
   The connect error message is
     Error trying to connect database "template1" on host localhost

     PostgreSQL error message:  Connection to database failed
     connectDB() failed:  Is the postmaster running and accepting TCP/IP(with -i) connections
     at 'localhost' on port '5432'?

Tried changing the port number.   It looks at least like we are getting to the database.  How do I ping the server?

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Roberto Joao Lopes GarciaDate: 1999-11-29 12:19:59