Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] drop/rename table and transactions

From: "Mike Mascari" <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: "Vadim Mikheev" <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Lamar Owen" <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Lincoln Yeoh" <lylyeoh(at)mecomb(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "PostgreSQL Developers List" <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] drop/rename table and transactions
Date: 1999-11-29 06:16:45
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
> Vadim Mikheev wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > if PostgreSQL could successfully rollback DDL statements sanely (and
thus
> > > diverge from ORACLE). I guess I don't expect that to happen
successfully
> > > until
> > > something the equivalent of TABLESPACES is implemented and there is a
> > > disassociation between table names, index names and their filesystem
> > > counterparts and to be able to "undo" filesystem operations. That, it
seems
> > > me, will be a major undertaking and not going to happen any time
soon...

> > Ingres has table names that don't match on-disk file names, and it is a
> > pain to administer because you can't figure out what is going on at the
> > file system level.  Table files have names like AAAHFGE.
>
> I have to say that I'm going to change on-disk database/table/index
> file names to _OID_! This is required by WAL because of inside of
> log records there will be just database/table/index oids, not names,
> and after crash recovery will not be able to read pg_class to get
> database/table/index name using oid ...
>
> Vadim

Will that aid in fixing a problem such as this:

session 1:

CREATE TABLE example1(value int4);
BEGIN;

session 2:

BEGIN;
ALTER TABLE example1 RENAME TO example2;

session 1:

INSERT INTO example1 VALUES (1);
END;
NOTICE: Abort Transaction and not in in-progress state
ERROR: Cannot write block 0 of example1 [test] blind

session 2:

END;
NOTICE: Abort Transaction and not in in-progress state
ERROR: Cannot write block 0 of example1 [test] blind

Just curious,

Mike (implicit commit) Mascari

Next:From: Vadim MikheevDate: 1999-11-29 06:29:06

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Vadim MikheevDate: 1999-11-29 06:29:06