Re: [INTERFACES] Japanese, Java and Postgres

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Ashish Sharma" <A(dot)Sharma(at)toa(dot)toasia(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Japanese, Java and Postgres
Date: 1999-11-16 02:26:53
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> I have a Java applet (1.1.5) running on win9x/IE/Netscape,
> using which the user can enter Japanese charactors.
>
> On the backend (RedHat 5.2 Japanese), I just installed postgresql 6.5 with
>
> ./configure --enable-locale --with-mb=UNICODE --with-odbc

I assume you are going to use English and Japanese only.
In this case I would recommend:

./configure --with-mb=EUC_JP --with-odbc

> And then I compiled the JDBC bridge.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Isn't this JDBC driver, right?

> Now, when I insert some Japanese charactors in the DB and select it back,
> I get ??? marks.
>
> What I'm missing?? I'm not doing any encoding stuff programmatically...
>
> Please help me, and don't force me to go back to SQL Server !!

The JDBC driver coming with PostgreSQL does not understand what
encoding is used in database. So you should explicitly tell it that
you want to use Japanese. You need set the user.language property to
"ja" and the file.encoding property to "EUCJIS". For a stand alone Java
application you could do that:

$ java -Duser.language=ja -Dfile.encoding=EUCJIS Your_class_name

I recommend you try with a stand alone Java application first. Applets
sometimes make things more difficult because of JVM problems etc.
---
Tatsuo Ishii