Re: [HACKERS] CORBA STATUS

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mail-list(at)molnir(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] CORBA STATUS
Date: 1999-11-09 02:09:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

> Is there room for me to work on this project in such a way that it is
> adequate for my masters. If anyone is working on this, or has a good
> knowledge of the current status of the CORBA implementation for PGsql can
> you please let me know, so I can know whether to get started on this or not.
> The reference thread for my initial point of contact with Marc G. Fournier
> and Bruce Momjian and how they think I should attack the project is -
> http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-hackers/1999-09/msg00076.html

I know of no one working on it. There were two ideas as I remember.
One was to replace our existing client/server communication with corba,
and the second was to have a corba server that accepted corba requests
and sent them to a PostgreSQL server. I prefer this second approach as
I think CORBA may be too much overhead for people who don't need it.
Our current client/server communication is quite efficient.