Success on DEC-Alpha osf-4.0b

From: "Clouser, Robert" <bclouser(at)ll(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: "'pgsql ports'" <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "'pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es'" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>, "Clouser, Robert" <bclouser(at)ll(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Success on DEC-Alpha osf-4.0b
Date: 1999-10-29 13:45:12
Lists: pgsql-ports

I successfully compiled 6.5.2 on our DEC Alpha running osf4.0b, using

./configure --prefix=OURDIR --disable-locale --without-CXX

It used the alpha_cc template. I did have to use the patch for the
buff_init.c
that fixed the missing __alpha defines.

HOWEVER -- notice that I had to disable the C++ stuff!! I got all kinds of
errors
that LOOKED like wrong code, but it must be a compatability problem. These
were in
the src/interfaces/libpq++ directory, and in particular in the
pgconnection.cc and
pgconnection.h files. Line like

#include <string> -> bombed,

and

extern "C" {
#include "libpq-fe.h"
} -->( this could be bombing in the libpq-fe.h file, i
think).

Anyway, it seems like this is a compiler compatability problem, or it would
not have compiled on other
platforms. Any suggestions for my C++ compiler flags?

MORE IMPORTANTLY: am I missing anything essential by NOT compiling the C++
stuff? I gather
that this stuff is meant to let people interface to the db with c++?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Bob
Dr. Robert H. Clouser
S4-563, MIT-Lincoln Laboratory