Re: [HACKERS] Outline for PostgreSQL book

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Outline for PostgreSQL book
Date: 1999-10-13 14:37:56
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

>Here is my proposal for an outline for a PostgreSQL book. Many of us
>have been asked by publishers about writing a book. Here is what I
>think would be a good outline for the book.
>
>I am interested in whether this is a good outline for a PostgreSQL book,
>how our existing documentation matches this outline, where our existing
>documentation can be managed into a published book, etc.
>
>Any comments would be welcome.

FYI, here is the table of contents from my PostgreSQL book published
in Japan at the beginning of this year (I do not guarantee the
accuracy of translation to English, however).

Note that the second edition about to be released will contain many more
topics including MVCC, transactions, views, rules, triggers...
---
Tatsuo Ishii

Chapter 1

Introduction to PostgreSQL

1.1 History of PostgreSQL
1.2 Advantages of PostgreSQL

Chapter 2

Installation

2.1 Before installation
2.2 Preparing for installation
2.3 Compiling and installation
2.4 Setting your environment
2.5 Initialization
2.6 Adding users and creating database
2.7 Using psql
2.8 Security

Chapter 3

Learning PostgreSQL

3.1 Processes and modules
3.2 Source tree
3.3 Data types
3.4 User defined functions
3.5 User defined operators
3.6 User defined types

Chapter 4

Make applications

4.1 Tcl/Tk
4.2 C
4.3 PHP
4.4 Perl
4.5 Java

Chapter 5

Tips for PostgreSQL

5.1 Backuping database
5.2 Benchmark tests
5.3 Performance tuning
5.4 Troubles shooting
5.5 New functionalities (while writing this book 6.4 was about to release)
5.6 Developers and future plans
5.7 Resources on the Internet

Appendix

Total pages: 309