Re: New notices?

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New notices?
Date: 1999-09-29 15:39:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > I updated my current tree and now this message comes out on even
> > > simple queries. Is it supposed to be there? If so, why??
> > Strange. I don't get it:
>
> I'll bet it is coming from my using expandAll() to support the new
> join syntax, and as a kludge I am feeding it a dummy parse state as a
> placeholder. As I try to implement table and column aliases, I'll be
> mucking around in all of these areas. It isn't at all clear to me from
> the notes or from the checks that there was some specific case this
> was intended to catch...

This was added to address the long-standing error reports of problems
when addressing aliased and non-aliased columns in the same query. We
don't issue an error, but go ahead and auto-create a from entry, very
non-standard SQL:

SELECT tab.* FROM tab t

Tom Lane and I agreed we need to issue a NOTICE for this type of
auto-FROM creation.