Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade may be mortally wounded

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade may be mortally wounded
Date: 1999-09-28 16:09:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> > Tom, did we address this.  I forgot.
>
> No, it's still an open issue as far as I'm concerned.  I was hoping to
> hear something from Vadim about how pg_upgrade could work safely under
> MVCC...

I don't think there is going to be any way to fix the incorrect
postmaster buffers without restarting the postmaster, so I have added
this to the bottom of pg_upgrade:

	echo "You must stop/start the postmaster before doing anything else."

and have re-organized the instructions to tell them to stop/start the
postmaster right after running pg_upgrade.

As it is, 6.5.* upgrades can not use it, and 6.6 can not use it either
because base structures will change.  It does allow 6.5 people moving to
other 6.5 releases to use initdb to get new features.

Let's close this item.