temp tables failes in transaction mode

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere(at)hungry(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: temp tables failes in transaction mode
Date: 1999-09-01 09:07:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Your name               : Petter Reinholdtsen
Your email address      : pere(at)td(dot)org(dot)uit(dot)no

System Configuration
  Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)         : Intel Pentium
  Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF)  : RedHat Linux 5.2
  PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-6.5)  :   PostgreSQL-6.5
  Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.8.0)           : GCC

It seems that using a temp table in transaction mode makes the backend
crash.  On the other end I get the following message:

        before or while processing the request.
  We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is

I discovered the problem using update on a temp table, but have
discovered later that select also triggers this bug.

There is no messages in syslog when this happends.

Please describe a way to repeat the problem.   Please try to provide a

Enter the following in psql:

  SELECT 'Testing temp tables'::text AS n1, ''::text AS n2
    INTO TEMP TABLE testing;

  SELECT * FROM testing;

  UPDATE testing
    SET n1 = SUBSTR(n1, 0, POSITION(' ' in n1)),
        n2 = SUBSTR(n1, POSITION(' ' in n1)+1);

  SELECT * FROM testing;

It will crash on the first select, and on the update if the first
select is removed.

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:

My workaround will probably to make a permanent table to insert my
values in.  Another workaround is to remove 'begin work' and not work
in transaction mode.

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: hecongDate: 1999-09-02 09:22:05