Re: Selectivity of "=" (Re: [HACKERS] Index not used on simple se lect)

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas IZ5 <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Selectivity of "=" (Re: [HACKERS] Index not used on simple se lect)
Date: 1999-07-29 00:21:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> >> BTW, this argument proves rigorously that the selectivity of a search
> >> for any value other than the MFOV is not more than 0.5, so there is some
> >> basis for my intuition that eqsel should not return a value above 0.5.
> >> So, in the cases where eqsel does not know the exact value being
> >> searched for, I'd still be inclined to cap its result at 0.5.
>
> > I don't follow this. If the most frequent value occurs 95% of the time,
> > wouldn't the selectivity be 0.95?
>
> If you are searching for the most frequent value, then the selectivity
> estimate should indeed be 0.95. If you are searching for anything else,
> the selectivity estimate ought to be 0.05 or less. If you don't know
> what value you will be searching for, which number should you use?

You are going to love this:

0.95 * 0.95 + 0.05 * 0.05

This is because with a 95% of one value, you would think the ask for
that value 95% of the time, and another value 5% of the time. The last
0.05 is not really accurate. It assumes there are only two unique
values in the table, which may be wrong, but it is close enough.

> The unsupported assumption here is that if the table contains 95%
> occurrence of a particular value, then the odds are also 95% (or at
> least high) that that's the value you are searching for in any given
> query that has an "= something" WHERE qual.

Yes.

> That assumption is pretty reasonable in some cases (such as your
> example earlier of "WHERE state = 'PA'" in a Pennsylvania-local
> database), but it falls down badly in others, such as where the
> most common value is NULL or an empty string or some other indication
> that there's no useful data. In that sort of situation it's actually
> pretty unlikely that the user will be searching for field =
> most-common-value ... but the system probably has no way to know that.

Well, if null is most common, it is very probable they would be looking
for col IS NULL.

> I wonder whether it would help to add even more data to pg_statistic.
> For example, suppose we store the fraction of the columns that are NULL,
> plus the most frequently occurring *non null* value, plus the fraction
> of the columns that are that value. This would allow us to be very
> smart about columns in which "no data" is represented by NULL (as a good
> DB designer would do):

That would be nice.

> selectivity of "IS NULL": NULLfraction
>
> selectivity of "IS NOT NULL": 1 - NULLfraction
>
> selectivity of "= X" for a known non-null constant X:
> if X == MFOV: MFOVfraction
> else: MIN(MFOVfraction, 1-MFOVfraction-NULLfraction)
>
> selectivity of "= X" when X is not known a priori, but presumably is not
> null:
> MIN(MFOVfraction, 1-NULLfraction)
>
> Both of the MIN()s are upper bounds, so multiplying them by a
> fudge-factor < 1 would be reasonable.

Yes, I am with you here.

> These rules would guarantee small selectivity values when either
> MFOVfraction or 1-NULLfraction is small. It still wouldn't cost
> much, since I believe VACUUM ANALYZE is counting nulls already...

Yes, it is. Sounds nice.