Problems importing my 6.3 database into 6.5.1

From: Randy Dees <rrd(at)amherst(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Problems importing my 6.3 database into 6.5.1
Date: 1999-07-28 07:47:38
Lists: pgsql-general

I am having some trouble; probably due to my poor database design. We have an
old server running PostgreSQL 6.3. I've built 6.5.1 on a new machine and am
trying to bring up the database on it.

I used both pg_dumpall from the 6.3 dist and from 6.5.1 - both appear to
produce the same output.

I used:

pg_dumpall > database.dump

to create the file I am trying to read. The command I am using to attempt
to read in the database is:

psql -e template1 < /path/to/database.dump 2>&1 | less

so that I can read the output. Otherwise, it just starts scrolling the help
screen from psql many times and finally dumps core. In the first coupla
screens of output is what appears to be the problem:

QUERY: CREATE TABLE jobs (id int4, folder text, open bool, synopsis text,
user text, severity int2, status text, problem text, submitted int4, due int4,
lastmod int4, lastperson text, keywords text, inform text);
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "user"

followed by several similar lines. Sure enough, "user" is a key field among
many of my tables - is it also a restricted word?

The old database is still up, and can remain up for a bit. But I do need to
migrate to the new server as quickly as I reasonably can. How can I get
around the problem?

In case it matters, the OS is linux on both machines - redhat 5.2/2.0.35 on
the old one, and redhat 6.0/2.2.10 on the new one. Both installations are
compiled from source, not just installed from the rpms. If there is
additional information I can give, please let me know what it is.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I can provide the actual error output if it helps.
--
Randy Dees -o)
SCA: Talorgen nei Wrguist /\\