Qualified Table Name and PsqlODBC.

From: Neil Darlow <neil(at)darlow(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Qualified Table Name and PsqlODBC.
Date: 1999-07-19 15:16:09
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Greetings,

I'm attempting to use StarOffice 5.1 Professional with unixODBC and
PostgreSQL-6.4.2.

unixODBC uses PsqlODBC to implement the interface to PostgreSQL.

The problem I'm observing is that when I create a Table in
StarOffice an SQL statement of the following form is generated:

create databasename."TABLENAME" ( fieldname fieldtype, ... )

PostgreSQL seems to have difficulty with the databasename."TABLENAME"
syntax which leads to one of two outcomes:

1) No table is created by PostgreSQL
2) A table is created with an uppercase name that can be seen with \dt
in psql but attempting to select from the table presents a message
that the table doesn't exist.

In either case, StarOffice reports "Error recording data to database".

I have been in contact with the unixODBC project leader (Nick Gorham)
but he says that the unixODBC Driver Manager just passes SQL directly
from StarOffice to PsqlODBC without modification.

This implies that any corrective action will have to be done in
PsqlODBC or PostgreSQL itself.

Is this a known problem, and does a solution exist.

Regards,
Neil Darlow