Re: [BUGS] General Bug Report: INSTALL and regression notest

From: Michael Van Biesbrouck <mlvanbie(at)Thinkage(dot)On(dot)CA>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, mlvanbie(at)Thinkage(dot)On(dot)CA, pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] General Bug Report: INSTALL and regression notest
Date: 1999-07-12 17:28:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm still planning to work on replacing our ad-hoc Makefile.shlib
> support with GNU libtool.  That should make most of these issues
> go away --- libtool knows about -rpath, for example.  In the meantime,
> I'm not too excited about expending effort on improving Makefile.shlib
> beyond where it is.
> I'm not sure if I will get to this for 6.6 --- I have other to-do
> items that I consider higher priority.  If someone else is more
> interested and wants to take on the project, be my guest...

Switching to libtool would be good.  This is what I wrote about security
problems before realizing that things should be going onto a mailing list:

Entries in should not point to directories that can be modified
by unsecure users.  According to the man page for on my machine,
it is possible to not put /usr/lib and /lib in -- they will
be searched after LD_LIBRARY_PATH and  Even if /usr/lib and
/lib are in the file, I think that there is still a problem.
If the minor version of the library is out of date with respect to
executables that exist (possibly provided by a commercial vendor ... I
see this happen all the time with netscape), then those executables will
load the shared library put in by an intruder on some (all?) systems.

On locales I wrote:

I goofed when writing this ... I meant LANG.  You can see it in the
example of what happens to perl if the locale variables are set
incorrectly.  (In the locale support section of INSTALL.)  LC_ALL is
also mentioned in that section.  LC_MONETARY, LC_NUMERIC and LC_TIME
might also exist.  PostgreSQL probably should be affected by all of these.

I also noted:

After submitting my bug report, I tried the bigtest regression suite.
The numeric_big seems to go into an infinite loop, or is very
time-consuming.  Has this problem ever been reported?  numeric_big.out
ends with

QUERY: DELETE FROM num_result;
QUERY: INSERT INTO num_result SELECT id, 0, POWER('10'::numeric, LN(ABS(round(va
    FROM num_data
    WHERE val != '0.0';

It looks like this is the last test and should be followed by the lines

SELECT t1.id1, t1.result, t2.expected
    FROM num_result t1, num_exp_power_10_ln t2
    WHERE t1.id1 =
    AND t1.result != t2.expected;

and a result.  Perhaps flushing would have caused more output.  Lots of
the bigtest regression tests are failing now, even though they didn't fail
the first time that I ran the test procedure.  Perhaps the database has
been corrupted by the test that failed.

Something that I forgot to mention was that 20a is missing the & to
background postmaster -i.

# -- Michael Van Biesbrouck,      mlvanbie(at)thinkage(dot)on(dot)ca