Re: [BUGS] General Bug Report: INSTALL and regression notest

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Van Biesbrouck <mlvanbie(at)thinkage(dot)on(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] General Bug Report: INSTALL and regression notest
Date: 1999-07-12 02:17:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Problem Description:
> --------------------
> 1. LC_COLLATE appears twice:
>
> LC_COLLATE=C
> LC_CTYPE=C
> LC_COLLATE=C
> export LC_COLLATE LC_CTYPE LC_COLLATE

No, I think it is just a duplicate, and was removed from the sgml.
Should be fixed when 6.5.1 is released.

> 2. User told to add a lib directory owned by an insecure
> userid (postgress) to ld.so.conf.

Well, not sure on this one. It is a good idea to put it in ld.so.conf.

> 3. int2 and int4 test produce
> ERROR: pg_atoi: error reading "100000": Math result not representable
> instead of
> ERROR: pg_atoi: error reading "100000": Numerical result out of range

sys_errlist has different messages for different OS's. No way to make
that portable.

> 1. One of these should be LC_LANG?

Does your OS have that. Can't find it on BSD/OS.

> 2. The lib directory should be put at the end to prevent
> people from breaking into the PostgreSQL account and
> replacing libc.so. Different arrangements might be
> required on different machines and this might not
> succeed if a program looks for a particular libc version
> that hasn't been install.

Good idea, put it at the end of ld.so.conf, right?

> On systems that support it, the -rpath options should
> be used when building executables so that they know
> where to find their libraries. See the Perl 5 build
> scripts to find out how to do this on different machines.

It makes it easier for users to put it in ld.so.conf.

> 3. Either put a FAQ entry or determine which libc versions
> give this message and provide alternate expected files.

How about text in regress/README:

Error messages can come from either the Postgres code or from the host
platform system routines. In the latter case, the messages may vary
between platforms, but should reflect similar information. These
differences in messages will result in a "failed" regression test which
can be validated by inspection.

?