General Bug Report: TEMP TABLES becomes permanent CATALOG TABLES

From: Unprivileged user <nobody>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: General Bug Report: TEMP TABLES becomes permanent CATALOG TABLES
Date: 1999-07-01 22:20:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name               : Ricardo Coelho
Your email address      : rcoelho(at)px(dot)com(dot)br

Category                : runtime: back-end
Severity                : serious

System Configuration
--------------------
  Operating System   : RedHat Linux 5.2 Intel

  PostgreSQL version : 6.5

  Compiler used      : gcc

Hardware:
---------
Pentium II 350MHz 128M RAM

Versions of other tools:
------------------------

Problem Description:
--------------------
When you execute a wrong SQL command after create a TEMP TABLE, postgres backend doesn't drop this table after connection ends. We can't drop pg_temp.PID.N with "drop table" command because it is a system catalog table. So, we had to dumpall the database, edit db.out file to erase lines of pg_temp??? create table and reload it again.

Test Case:
----------
psql mydb
mydb=> select * into temp table TMP from anytable;
mydb=> drop table invalidTable;
mydb=> \q
psql mydb
mydb=> \dS    --> You will see a new permanent system table.

Solution:
---------

pgsql-bugs by date

Previous:From: LeonDate: 1999-07-01 17:08:15
Subject: 'Notice' bug