Port Bug Report: Complains I am not using GNU make

From: Unprivileged user <nobody>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Port Bug Report: Complains I am not using GNU make
Date: 1999-05-25 03:28:42
Lists: pgsql-ports
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name               : Adrian Urquhart
Your email address      : AdrianU(at)netcomuk(dot)co(dot)uk

Category                : install: compile
Severity                : critical

System Configuration
--------------------
  Operating System   : Solaris 7 on Intel

  PostgreSQL version : 6.4.2

  Compiler used      : gcc 2.8.1

Hardware:
---------
SunOS Homer 5.7 Generic_106542-02 i86pc i386 i86pc
Pentium @ 240Mhz, 64Mb RAM

Versions of other tools:
GNU Make 3.77

Problem Description:
Follow install instructions then try to run gmake - it is in my /usr/local as make, but make -v reports GNU Make version 3.77.  Typing "make all" causes Postgres to tell me that I must use GNU Make. Renaming it to gmake and running ./configure doesn't get rid of the error. Using the documented make all >& make.log & produces a message "make.log: bad number". No make.log file seems to exist.

Test Case:
Described above. The answer may be simple, but i am a Unix newbie.

Solution:
---------