[INTERFACES] MSAccess problem deleting rows

From: leif(at)danmos(dot)dk
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: [INTERFACES] MSAccess problem deleting rows
Date: 1999-05-24 22:55:22
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
   Hello,

    I have a problem running M$Access on a PostgreSQL database,
deleting rows from 'raw' Access, i.e. doing an open on a table
selecting a hole row and then deleting this row. The problem
arises when the table includes a float:

create table effektivitet
  (
    id serial ,
    value float,
    primary key (id)
  );
create unique index ix_effekt_uniq on effektivitet (id);

    Consider a row with the following values:
id  |  value
5   |  1.1666666666666666666....

Depending on how wide my float column is displayed, M$Access will
do something like: 'DELETE FROM effektivitet WHERE id = 5 AND
value = 1.6667;'. Of course there is no such row and M$Access
displays some (stupid) message like "Others have been changing ...."
and aborts the operation. This also goes for an update on such a
table. I can of course manually delete the row by doing a
'delete from effektivitet where id = 5;' either in the SQL creator
within Access or directly on the Linux box.

   This also happens with following piece of VB code:

Set rstEffective = UT32_recordset("Select * From [Effektivitet] Where [Id] = '" & Employee & "' ;")
With rstEffective
    .Edit
    !Value = rstEffective!Value + NewValue
    .Update
End With

   How can I make M$Acess use the unique index column for pointing
out this specific row in stead of generating a where clause containing
all fields in the table?

I am running PostgreSQL 6.4.2 on RedHat 5.0 and kernel 2.0.32. (I
downloaded and installed it just a few weeks ago. This goes for
psqlODBC as well).

    Greetings,

  Leif
  (leif(at)danmos(dot)dk)