Re: [INTERFACES] Vacuum takes for ever

From: Jason Earl <jearl(at)box100(dot)com>
To: eg(at)tzv(dot)fal(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Vacuum takes for ever
Date: 1999-05-17 18:06:08
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
   Hello everyone,

   in a substantial multi location development project we are using PG
   to create a large information system.  After having loaded data in
   the order of one million records a vaccum took 50h of CPU time on a
   350MHz PII (RedHat 5.2, pg 6.4.2). There were no deletes or anyting
   like that.

I made a test database when I was deciding whether PostgreSQL was
going to be up to the task.  It just so happens that it had a million
records in it as well.  The first vacuum took a very very long time,
subsequent vacuums, however, took much less time.

   What does vaccum do that takes so long and is there a way to speed
   this up?

Apparently it does some "database stuff."  Yikes, someone else will
have to answer that question.  I just know how to get data in and out
of PostgreSQL.

Jason Earl