Re: [INTERFACES] Vacuum takes for ever

From: Jason Earl <jearl(at)box100(dot)com>
To: eg(at)tzv(dot)fal(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Vacuum takes for ever
Date: 1999-05-17 18:06:08
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello everyone,

in a substantial multi location development project we are using PG
to create a large information system. After having loaded data in
the order of one million records a vaccum took 50h of CPU time on a
350MHz PII (RedHat 5.2, pg 6.4.2). There were no deletes or anyting
like that.

I made a test database when I was deciding whether PostgreSQL was
going to be up to the task. It just so happens that it had a million
records in it as well. The first vacuum took a very very long time,
subsequent vacuums, however, took much less time.

What does vaccum do that takes so long and is there a way to speed
this up?

Apparently it does some "database stuff." Yikes, someone else will
have to answer that question. I just know how to get data in and out
of PostgreSQL.

Jason Earl