Port Bug Report: UPDATE reports successful but was not

From: Unprivileged user <nobody>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Port Bug Report: UPDATE reports successful but was not
Date: 1999-04-26 21:23:00
Lists: pgsql-ports
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name               : Cody Zilverberg
Your email address      : cjzilverberg(at)csbsju(dot)edu

Category                : runtime: back-end: SQL
Severity                : serious

System Configuration
--------------------
  Operating System   : Irix

  PostgreSQL version : 6.3

  Compiler used      :

Hardware:
---------

Versions of other tools:
------------------------

Problem Description:
--------------------
I created a table with 7 columns and I later added an
eighth column.  When I try to update that column, PostgreSQL
reports a successful update, but fails it update the eight
column.  This occurs whether I try to update a row or if I
try to insert a new row.

Test Case:
----------
I have a class that looks like the following.  I put all of the columns in it
when I created it, except for instructorid, which I added later.

Table    = class
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
|              Field               |              Type                | Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| classid                          | int4 default nextval ( 'class_cl |     4 |
| department                       | varchar()                        |    10 |
| classname                        | varchar()                        |    25 |
| section                          | varchar()                        |     5 |
| coursenumber                     | varchar()                        |     4 |
| term                             | varchar()                        |     1 |
| year                             | varchar()                        |     4 |
| instructorid                     | int4                             |     4 |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

The table's current state is this.

homework=> select * from class;
classid|department|classname      |section|coursenumber|term|year|instructorid
-------+----------+---------------+-------+------------+----+----+------------
      1|CS        |Data Structures|001a   |         200|   4|1998|
      2|Bio       |Anatomy        |001a   |         130|   2|1997|
      3|Bio       |Anatomy        |001a   |         130|   2|1996|
(3 rows)

I issue this successful command:

homework=> update class set instructorid=333 where classid=3;
UPDATE 1

and the state of the table is:

homework=> select * from class;
classid|department|classname      |section|coursenumber|term|year|instructorid
-------+----------+---------------+-------+------------+----+----+------------
      1|CS        |Data Structures|001a   |         200|   4|1998|
      2|Bio       |Anatomy        |001a   |         130|   2|1997|
      3|Bio       |Anatomy        |001a   |         130|   2|1996|
(3 rows)

homework=> select * from class where instructorid=333;
classid|department|classname|section|coursenumber|term|year|instructorid
(0 rows)

For some reason the instructorid is not updated.  Similarly, if I try to insert
a new row, all of the new values are inserted successfully except for the
instructorid value.

Solution:
---------

pgsql-ports by date