General Bug Report: obscure error when misusing table name as an attribute

From: Unprivileged user <nobody>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: General Bug Report: obscure error when misusing table name as an attribute
Date: 1999-04-26 17:28:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name : Diab Jerius
Your email address : djerius(at)cfa(dot)harvard(dot)edu

Category : unknown
Severity : non-critical

System Configuration
--------------------
Operating System : Solaris 2.6

PostgreSQL version : 6.4.2

Compiler used : Sunpro cc 4.2

Hardware:
---------
SunOS fondue 5.6 Generic_105181-12 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20

Versions of other tools:
------------------------
flex 2.5.4

Problem Description:
--------------------
I get a very obscure error message when I mistakenly use
a table name as an attribute and compare it to
an IN clause

Test Case:
xrcf_tc_log is a table; there is no attribute in xrcf_tc_log
named xrcf_tc_log

spectral=> select xtc_testid from xrcf_tc_log where xrcf_tc_log not in ( select trwid from as_run_cmdb );
NOTICE: unknown node tag 704 in fireRIRonSubselect()
NOTICE: Node is: { IDENT "xrcf_tc_log" }
ERROR: ExecEvalExpr: unknown expression type 704

Shouldn't it say something like "Yo Dude! no such attribute"?

Solution:
---------