Port Bug Report: NULL fields don't return anything. Later fields move to left.

From: Unprivileged user <nobody>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Port Bug Report: NULL fields don't return anything. Later fields move to left.
Date: 1999-04-23 07:57:31
Lists: pgsql-ports
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name               : Per Erik Rnne
Your email address      : per(at)idp(dot)dk

Category                : runtime: front-end: C++
Severity                : serious

System Configuration
--------------------
  Operating System   : AIX 4.1.3

  PostgreSQL version : 6.4.2

  Compiler used      : gcc 2.7.7

Hardware:
---------
IBM 43P 7248-100, 160Mb RAM, 2x1Gb disk + 1x4Gb disk
uname -a:
AIX balder 1 4 0052054D4C00

Versions of other tools:
------------------------
GNU Make version 3.71

Problem Description:
--------------------
I've had major problems with tables containing rows with NULL fields. I receive the row in a string where each field should use an exact number of bytes. Through a firm-defined class the string is set up [it's actually a void type which points to a stucture with the fields to use in the C++ program]. It works well for fixed length types, but I'm unsure about var-length data types. It's no I who have programmed the class.
But when nothing is returned the next field is placed in the former field's place.

Test Case:
A greater description of the problem can be found on the mail list on interfaces. It whished, the program written can be sent for you.

Solution:
---------
You might declare all fields NOT NULL.
Admittedly, not a good solution.

pgsql-ports by date

Next:From: BumblebeeDate: 1999-04-25 14:58:46