From: David Jones <dej(at)inode(dot)org>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 1999-04-18 14:08:57
Lists: pgsql-ports
If PostgreSQL failed to compile on your computer or you found a bug that
is likely to be specific to one platform then please fill out this form
and e-mail it to pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

To report any other bug, fill out the form below and e-mail it to

If you not only found the problem but solved it and generated a patch
then e-mail it to pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org instead.  Please use the
command "diff -c" to generate the patch.

You may also enter a bug report at instead of
e-mail-ing this form.

                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name		:	David Jones
Your email address	:	dej(at)ox(dot)org

System Configuration
  Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)  	: m68k (HP425T)

  Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF) 	: NetBSD-1.3.3

  PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-6.4)  :   PostgreSQL-6.5 BETA

  Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.8.0)		: gcc

Postgres 6.5 BETA compiles without difficulty (PG 6.4.2 failed in a number of
places).  If I run postgres -i, then I can enter commands interactively, and
they appear to work.  However, if I launch 'postmaster -i' in the background,
and then'psql', then it complains of
a premature connection termination and dumps core.

Running the 'createdb' command as described in step 21 of the installation
instructions does not yield an obviously abnormal result.  There are two
databases in the data area: template1 and postgres.

If I try psql without running 'postmaster -i', it properly complains that it
cannot connect to the socket.  With postmaster running, netstat -a shows
something listening to localhost.5432, so I am sure that psql is at least
making a connection.

Please describe a way to repeat the problem.   Please try to provide a

Simply follow the installation instructions up to and including step 21.
In step 21, sub-steps a and b will work correctly, and c will fail.

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:

pgsql-ports by date

Subject: Re: [HACKERS] UnixWare 7 patches for current CVS code.
Previous:From: Rachel GreenhamDate: 1999-04-18 01:58:52