Re: [INTERFACES] best postgres interface

From: "Gene Selkov, Jr(dot)" <selkovjr(at)mcs(dot)anl(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] best postgres interface
Date: 1999-03-25 15:10:52
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> I see there are a couple of perl interfaces to
> postgres. Does anyone have any comments as to the
> best? I would prefer to use perl but if people
> think is this the wrong way to go i would like
> to know.

I can only speak about the Pg interface that I am using. The second
one you mentioned is probably DBI::*; I am not familiar with it but it
looks similar. You might consider DBI if you client needs to access
other data sources as well and if you want it to be more portable. As
far as perl vs. others, I guess all interfaces send the queries and
handle results in much the same way. However, by simply being in
perl, you have and added value of being able to process the results in
a very sophisticated manner. If you choose perl, you won't find
yourself among those who complain about the backend not being able to
compute an avg() of something or not getting the date in the format
they please. Also, some of the tasks that still represent a
considerable load on the backend can be trivially solved in perl.

--Gene