Port Bug Report: Memory Leak in postgres

From: Unprivileged user <nobody>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Port Bug Report: Memory Leak in postgres
Date: 1999-03-07 00:10:46
Lists: pgsql-ports

POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name : Wesley Tanaka
Your email address : wtanaka(at)catori(dot)com

Category : runtime: back-end
Severity : critical

System Configuration
--------------------
Operating System : Linux 2.0.36 glibc/elf

PostgreSQL version : 6.4.2

Compiler used : gcc (?)

Hardware:
---------
Linux catori.com 2.0.36 #1 Thu Nov 26 10:35:11 PST 1998 i686 unknown
model : Pentium II (Deschutes)
bogomips : 450.56
MemTotal: 256768 kB

Versions of other tools:
------------------------
Redhat package postgresql-6.4.2-1.i386.rpm

Problem Description:
--------------------
On running an INSERT command through the jdbc interface given in postgres 6.4.2 (with java.sql.Statement.executeUpdate(String))
the postgres process handling that statement's connection leaks some memory.
Repeatedly running INSERT commands causes that process to grow until it runs out of memory and dies.

Test Case:
The INSERT statement that I was running produced the error "Cannot insert key into duplicate index"
When I looked through the code, there was only one line which outputs this error.
I am not sure whether or not the memory leak is there on INSERTs which succeed.
The memory leak is not there when I run a SELECT

Solution:
---------