ecpg idea

From: Michael Meskes <Michael_Meskes(at)topmail(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ecpg idea
Date: 1999-02-20 18:07:34
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

James just asked me about a new feature in ecpg that I certainly not heard
about yet. However, I think it is a good idea.

Let's say we have the following statement:

exec sql select name into :stringvar from address;

Then stringvar has to be a variable with enough room to store the string. In
contrast to Oracle we allow stringvar to be either an array of char or a
pointer (and the varchar alternatives). However, if you provide a char * you
have to make sure it has memory allocated yourself. James now asked me to to
the correct malloc() inside libecpg if that poointer is NULL.

I never heard about a feature like this on other DBMS but I like the idea.
It should be pretty easy to implement too. Unless it is strictly against
standard I would like to implement it.

Comments anyone?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes | Go SF 49ers!
Th.-Heuss-Str. 61, D-41812 Erkelenz | Go Rhein Fire!