initdb "pg_atoi: error"

From: "Michael A(dot) Koerber" <mak(at)ll(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: randy213(at)hotmail(dot)com, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: initdb "pg_atoi: error"
Date: 1999-02-18 13:37:44
Lists: pgsql-ports
I have received a number of inquires as to the "initdb" error
which ends with the message...

  Adding template1 database to pg_database...
  Running: postgres -boot -C -F -D/home/postgres/local/pgsql/data -Q
  template1 < /tmp/create.8912
  ERROR:  pg_atoi: error in "template1": can't parse "template1"
  ERROR:  pg_atoi: error in "template1": can't parse "template1"
  initdb: could not log template database
  initdb: cleaning up.

Bottomline
----------
In my case the solution was simple...remove the RedHat RPM for
Postgres, then continue with the installation from the Postgres
source distribution.

Discussion
----------
The RedHat RPM places the Postgres executables in /usr/bin/ (I believe)
which is before the /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb in the Postgres
source distribution.  RedHat also chooses to place the data base
and other items in locations different from the Postgres source
distribution defaults.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

mike

--
Dr Michael A. Koerber
MIT/Lincoln Laboratory

pgsql-ports by date

Next:From: Unprivileged userDate: 1999-02-18 15:09:50