Re: [INTERFACES] facing problem with ecpg

From: Michael Meskes <Michael(dot)Meskes(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: hoelc <hoelc(at)pd(dot)jaring(dot)my>
Cc: Michael Meskes <Michael_Meskes(at)topmail(dot)de>, James Thompson <jamest(at)math(dot)ksu(dot)edu>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] facing problem with ecpg
Date: 1999-02-11 19:51:42
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 12:42:34AM +0800, hoelc wrote:
> Hello,
> I've just upgrated my PostgreSQL system to version Postgres-6.4.2
> Now it has the *ecpg
> But I'm facing problem in using it, when I compile the C program with
>         cc -o tryecpg tryecpg.c -lecpg -lpq
> the compiler can't recognize the " exec sql ", and give error massage
>        Parse error before 'sql'

The exec sql should be there after running ecpg. ecpg is a preprocessor. You
have to feed you're source (should be named file.pgc BTW) through ecpg
before running cc. That is:

ecpg tryecpg.pgc
cc -o tryecpg tryecpg.c -lecpg -lpq

> What went wrong ?  Please advise.

If this was not the problem we need more details.

> Thanks for giving me the address for the Oracle Pre*C/C++ programmer's guide, it
> is a good reference.  But, it doesn't exactly reflect the ecpg, right?  Is there
> any reference and example program for how to use ecpg?

The reference is pretty outdated but the source comes with three examples.
Oracle's Pro*C manual however is a good reference for the syntac of embedded
SQL, although it does not comply with the standard on some parts.

Michael
Email: Michael(dot)Meskes(at)gmx(dot)net          | Use PostgreSQL!