Re: [HACKERS] Bug or feature? COPY ignores column defaults

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>
Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Bug or feature? COPY ignores column defaults
Date: 1999-01-28 15:07:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Vadim Mikheev wrote:
  >Oliver Elphick wrote:
  >>
  >> At release 6.4.2, COPY does not respect column defaults:
  >>
  >> INSERT works correctly, however.
  >>
  >> Is this intentional, or a bug?
  >
  >This is standard behaviour. DEFAULT value is substituted
  >only if column value (including NULL) is not specified in
  >INSERT statement.

Well, isn't that the case here?

  junk=> copy testbed from stdin;
  Enter info followed by a newline
  End with a backslash and a period on a line by itself.

  >> \.

I haven't specified \N; there is no value at all for the column, so
surely the default should be used?

If that is not the case, I will add an explanation to the documentation for
COPY.

--
Oliver Elphick                                Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
     "Many are the afflictions of the righteous; but the