General Bug Report: Postmaster hangs under load

From: Unprivileged user <nobody>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: General Bug Report: Postmaster hangs under load
Date: 1999-01-27 17:58:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name : Dennis Markwith
Your email address : dmarkwit(at)dsrnet(dot)com

Category : runtime: front-end: C++
Severity : serious

System Configuration
--------------------
Operating System : Solaris SunOS 5.5

PostgreSQL version : 6.4.2

Compiler used : egcs 1.1

Hardware:
---------

Versions of other tools:
------------------------
gmake 3.74
flex

Problem Description:
I run a number of processes which are adding records to a database using the C++ interface. Then, run a few processes which read a couple of records from the database (same table). After a while (an indeterminate amount of time), all the processes hang. I have to kill them all and the postmaster process and restart it all to get it running again. This is very consistent. I can supply my sample code. It happens on Linux with the same exact code. the only difference is that I am using Postgres version 6.3.2 on Linux. I am in the process of evaluating Postgres to be used for a ver important project. If this cannot be fixed, I will have to abandon Postgres as a possible candidate.

Test Case:
I can send you the program files I am using; there are a few, but they're vey short. email me and I will reply immediately.

Solution:
---------