Port Bug Report: Regression tests fails serious.

From: Unprivileged user <nobody>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Port Bug Report: Regression tests fails serious.
Date: 1999-01-20 15:59:00
Lists: pgsql-ports
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name		: Reiner Nippes
Your email address	: nippes(at)ums-ulm(dot)de

Category		: install: compile
Severity		: serious

System Configuration
--------------------
  Operating System   : HP-Ux 10.10

  PostgreSQL version : 6.4 & 6.4.2

  Compiler used      : gcc 2.8.1

Hardware:
---------
HP-UX B.10.10 A 9000/821

Versions of other tools:
------------------------

Problem Description:
--------------------
Running the regression test with version 6.4 I got a bunch of IMHO serious error
messages. e.g.: While testing int2 "INSERT INTO INT2_TBL(f2) VALUES 'asdf'" the
backend closed the channel unexpectedly instead of giving the error message
"can't parse 'asdf'".

During "normal" operation, we have the problem that we can't create a database.
What we try to do is the following (due to the fact that we are sql novices :-( ):
we UPDATE table a3xw005b -> if that gives an error because that table does not exist, we
are going to CREATE the table. (We couldnot find out how to test if a table is existing
in the database.) Nevertheless on our Linux box this works fine. On our HP-Ux 10.10 system
we are only able to create one table during the runtime of our program. After trying
to "UPDATE" the second non-existing table the backend process is dieing.

Could you tell us the SQL statment to query if a table exists?

If anyone at your site is interested in the result of our regression test
I could send it to him along with the config.cache file (or any other file needed).

Sorry for my bad english and sql knowledge.

Kind regards,
Reiner Nippes

UMS GmbH, Ulm

Test Case:

Solution:
---------

pgsql-ports by date

Next:From: Gerry SmitDate: 1999-01-20 16:37:37