Re: [INTERFACES] Re: pgsql-interfaces-digest V1 #180

From: "Bill Hutto" <bill(at)hammondgroves(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Cc: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>, "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, "Ken J(dot) Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: pgsql-interfaces-digest V1 #180
Date: 1999-01-07 17:01:42
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
> Its not exactly clear what you are trying to do.  But I'll take a guess at it.
> In the postgres database, the "amount" field is obviously of type money.  The
> sql statement, which I haven't seen, is probably trying to do an expression on
> that column.  Unfortunately, you can't easily do expressions on a money field in
> Postgres, without casting it or something like that.  And since the Jet is just
> sending the statement, it isn't going to work.  (I know you mentioned quotes,
> but the error message above suggests this has nothing to do with quotes -- it is
> some expression that is killing it.  And besides, if it were a quote thing, the
> error message would have been different.)

I'm assuming the error was caused by the Jet passing a float on
the update. It probably has something to do with DAO. I tested
ODBCDirect using a SQL Insert and was able to pull it off (with the
quotes).

> I recommend forgetting about the money type, and just stick with float for now.
> When we have full Numeric() support, then you can use a SQL_NUMERIC or
> SQL_DECIMAL to get the right precision.  You will not be able to use dollar
> signs and commas, but I don't think that is a show stopper, is it?

<snip>

I was just asking if the Money type could be converted to the
appropriate type (SQL_NUMERIC according to my docs) so that I could
bind the column to a control, as well as just generally use DAO to
manipulate the data, thereby making it easier to use any DBMS with
little mods. If I have to wait for the Numeric type implementation, I
can probably handle that :).

Thanks,
Bill