Re: [HACKERS] psql \d does not work

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: angelos(at)incredible(dot)com (Angelos Karageorgiou)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] psql \d does not work
Date: 1998-12-27 18:10:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, 26 Dec 1998, Angelos Karageorgiou wrote:
>
> > has anyone noticed that the backend still dies when you do a "\d" from
> > psql ? This is with 6.4.1 on bsdi 3.1
> >

> Hate to respond to myself, but Bruce noted that other people's \d on the
> back end did not crash.
>
> I had compiled postgres with shlicc2 which is the shared lib version of gcc2
> on bsdi. That version was crashing the back end. I recompiled with the
> default gcc2 and it works magnificently
>
> Any clues ?

Strange. I thought I used shlicc on 6.3 and bsdi 3.1, but I am not
sure.

Can you send a backtrace of the crash through gdb? It will be tricky
because you have to get the query from psql.c that is \d, start up gdb
on a backend, and run the query. The backtrace may show that if you
sent it to me.

Do all queries fail, or just \d? Strange. I don't know what it is
about shlicc that would cause a failure.